- When was SPARK formed? How is SPARK organized?
- SPARK was formed in June 1994.
- SPARK works towards national self-determination, peace and disarmament,
establishment of a peace structure, and the reunification of Korea.
- SPARK is a key representative peace and disarmament non-governmental
organization in South korea.
- SPARK is composed of nine district offices and 1,900 members from nearly
every region of South Korea.
- What kinds of activities is SPARK involved in?
- SPARK is working to replace the unequal Korea-U.S. reelationship with a relationship based on equality
- SPARK works for
- revision or abolition of the unfair treaties like the Korea-U. S. Mutual
Defense Treaty, the ROK-US Agreement on Status of U.S. Forces in Korea, etc.
- gradual withdrawal of United States Forces Korea
- opposition to enlargement of U.S.F.K. bases in Pyeongtaek, south of Seoul
- Within the peace/disarmament movement,
- SPARK oppose
- the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq and Deployment of Korean troops in Iraq
- joint Korea-U.S. military exercises that hamper the peace process
- the preemptive nuclear attack plan and hostile policy of the U.S. against North Korea
- SPARK promotes
- the peaceful resolution of N.K. nuclear issue
- the creation of a nuclear-free Korea
- lasting peace on the Korean peninsula through a peace treaty
- SPARK's activities in reducing the defense budget
- the successful campaign to eliminate the budget for attack helicopters in 2001 and Patriot missiles for missile defense in 2004
- the campaign in opposition to the purchase of the F-15K fighter airplanes in 2002～2003
- the annual campaign to reduce the defense budget
- Popular peace movement
- the campaign to replace war toys with flower vases or books Activities to promote the reunification of Korea
- participation in various reunification events that promote inter-Korean cooperation
- Specialized peace research
- SPARK established Research Institute in September 2004 to research issues of peace, disarmament and reunification; and to propose alternative
- Who leads SPARK?
- Executive Chairperson : Fr. Moon, Kyu-hyun